Staffiezone
whats classed as too hot to take the dogs out  R9j409
Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

Staffiezone
whats classed as too hot to take the dogs out  R9j409
Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

Staffiezone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeFrontLog inLatest imagesChat BoxRegister

whats classed as too hot to take the dogs out

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
staffymad

Female
Number of posts : 1679

whats classed as too hot to take the dogs out  Empty
PostSubject: whats classed as too hot to take the dogs out    whats classed as too hot to take the dogs out  EmptySat 19 Apr 2014, 6:39 pm

Hi

Been new to all this and my first summer with a dog , staffie especially as there bad in the heat , whats classed as too hot to take dogs on long walks , i did neally 3 hours today and wiley was panting abit and getting abit slower , its not that hot today really quite cold when the sun isnt on you , i took water with me for him , but im paranoid im goin to kill him , so when would you say its not safe to take them out ?
Back to top Go down
Jakethedog
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
Jakethedog

Male
Number of posts : 3749

PostSubject: Re: whats classed as too hot to take the dogs out    whats classed as too hot to take the dogs out  EmptySat 19 Apr 2014, 8:09 pm

Sunny days & long walks are a big no gos for Alfie Mandy ,

He's quite happy to sit in it for a while but will then move into the shade ,

I'd say just use your head & see how Wiley reacts to the warm weather as some dogs arnt to botherd by it but I'd say staffies arnt that good in the heat , I'd say no mid day walks , do early morns & defo later evening walks as it starts to cool off ,

Last edited by Jakethedog on Sun 20 Apr 2014, 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member
Staffylover

Female
Number of posts : 31924

PostSubject: Re: whats classed as too hot to take the dogs out    whats classed as too hot to take the dogs out  EmptySat 19 Apr 2014, 8:52 pm

Yep, agree with Martin avoid mid day where you can
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
staffymad

Female

PostSubject: Re: whats classed as too hot to take the dogs out    whats classed as too hot to take the dogs out  EmptySat 19 Apr 2014, 9:54 pm

Jakethedog wrote:
Sunny days & long walks are a big no gos for Alfie Mandy ,

He's quite happy to sit in it for a while but will then move into the shade ,

I'd say just use your head & see how Wiley reacts to the warm weather as some dogs arnt to botherd by it but I'd say staffies are that good in the heat , I'd say no mid day walks , do early morns & defo later evening walks as it starts to cool off ,

I took casper on the park last august not far at all and he colapsed on me , i crapped myself and carried him home , wiley seems abit fitter than casper tho as casper just isnt used to walking and seems to be always panting even when its not hot , whereas wiley doesnt really pant in winter , but i still need to watch him as would hate something to happen , when i looked after casper that time cant remeber if i had mentioned this but a chap in the butty shop was making a fuss of him and was also telling me how he lost his 3 year old staffie on the park , he died when they got home after chasing a ball in the heat :( he said he would never make that mistake again
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member
Staffylover

Female

PostSubject: Re: whats classed as too hot to take the dogs out    whats classed as too hot to take the dogs out  EmptySat 19 Apr 2014, 10:08 pm

It's not worth it, Reuben pants a lot as he runs very fast so even on cold days I make him have short periods of rest in between ball play. I have noticed too that when he is waiting for the ball if I move he stops panting and waits for me to throw it so I stand still to ensure he pants

Reuben collapsed a couple if years ago in the fields, it was not particularly hot but his heart dropped to a very slow beat.. I had to carry him off the fields and rush him to the vets so since then I have been very cautious
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
staffymad

Female

PostSubject: Re: whats classed as too hot to take the dogs out    whats classed as too hot to take the dogs out  EmptySat 19 Apr 2014, 10:11 pm

Staffylover wrote:
It's not worth it, Reuben pants a lot as he runs very fast so even on cold days I make him have short periods of rest in between ball play. I have noticed too that when he is waiting for the ball if I move he stops panting and waits for me to throw it so I stand still to ensure he pants

Reuben collapsed a couple if years ago in the fields, it was not particularly hot but his heart dropped to a very slow beat.. I had to carry him off the fields and rush him to the vets so since then I have been very cautious

i crapped myself with casper especially since it wasnt my dog , but after about 10 minutes he was right as rain , i was lucky to carry him as i can barly lift wiley as hes alot heavier
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member
Staffylover

Female

PostSubject: Re: whats classed as too hot to take the dogs out    whats classed as too hot to take the dogs out  EmptySat 19 Apr 2014, 10:45 pm

I can imagine how you felt, I was feared to death and could not get to the vets quick enough
Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member
StaffySel

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Re: whats classed as too hot to take the dogs out    whats classed as too hot to take the dogs out  EmptySun 20 Apr 2014, 12:49 pm

Early morning and late evening walks when it's hot, the other day was warm not boiling and I still caught the sun a bit so still be careful with dogs.
One year Enzo was sick because he'd been in the sun too long just sat out in the garden so I try keeping him inside which is hard because he loves the warm and will sit in it all day.
So even if Wiley seems ok and enjoying the sun I'd still bring him inside for a bit when we get the really hot weather.
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
staffymad

Female

PostSubject: Re: whats classed as too hot to take the dogs out    whats classed as too hot to take the dogs out  EmptySun 20 Apr 2014, 12:58 pm

StaffySel wrote:
Early morning and late evening walks when it's hot, the other day was warm not boiling and I still caught the sun a bit so still be careful with dogs.
One year Enzo was sick because he'd been in the sun too long just sat out in the garden so I try keeping him inside which is hard because he loves the warm and will sit in it all day.
So even if Wiley seems ok and enjoying the sun I'd still bring him inside for a bit when we get the really hot weather.

Yea he loves the sun , he lies at my patio door in the sun as it shines right through, when it gets really hot i will have to draw the curtains or something
Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member
StaffySel

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Re: whats classed as too hot to take the dogs out    whats classed as too hot to take the dogs out  EmptySun 20 Apr 2014, 12:59 pm

Yeah Enzo was doing that yesterday, he falls asleep like it and then wakes up panting haha!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: whats classed as too hot to take the dogs out    whats classed as too hot to take the dogs out  Empty

Back to top Go down

whats classed as too hot to take the dogs out
Page 1 of 1