Staffiezone
Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk? R9j409
Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

Staffiezone
Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk? R9j409
Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

Staffiezone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeFrontLog inLatest imagesChat BoxRegister

Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk?

Go down 
+2
Angel
Yarder
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Yarder
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 510

Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk? Empty
PostSubject: Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk?   Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk? EmptyTue 16 Nov 2010, 11:13 am

Who do you think should be in charge the dog or the owner? I think that the owner should. I Know a couple who have a two year old staffy X Labrador who is in charge of where she goes. It wouldnt bother me except for the fact that we will plan to meet up at a park which is about 10 minutes from both of our houses yet they can never seem to get her there. At first it was a case of they thought something 'Spooked' her as she got near the park and turned tail and tried to run home. And so for months now they cant get her to go where they want. We used to meet up a few times a week and because they cant get her where they want in the last 3 months ive seen her maybe 3 times. Now they stay by a patch of grass which is about 20secs from home or a local park about 5 minutes away. The the dog started to develop behaviour problems where she wanted to stay closer and closer to home and in the end she wouldnt leave the house and they had to call in a behaviourist at £50 an hour. Last week we planned to meet and so i was up super early and ready. Oreo met a friend at our local park and then we made our way to the meeting point. I then get a txt that they stopped at their little park for her to go toilet and she was playing with 2 doggy friends...she had a feeling she would be hard to move. 10 minutes later she txts me saying she cant get the dog to move and they wont be coming down. Its so annoying! Ive seen it in action we were going for a walk round the block and she just sits down and refuses to move - the owner says come on, she digs her heels in and she was like she doesnt want to come we will go this way! I Dont think its really healthy for her - What do you think?

My second point - How far is too far for a 2 year old (With healthy joints and no other issues) to walk? As we plan to take them to different parks but the lady owner seems to think that her dog couldnt manage a 30-40 minute walk to a park that its too far for her. How far should a healthy dog be able to walk for?

x
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
Angel

Female
Number of posts : 7814

PostSubject: Re: Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk?   Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk? EmptyTue 16 Nov 2010, 11:20 am

omg nothing like taking the micky hehe

owner is top dog end off this dog now knows owner wil lturn home and is playing on it i have broken in many many horses and also re schooled loads that basically do the same thing except you on them mostly rearing and spining so they can go back to their bed or field hmm didnt wash with me sorted them all out quick sharp with a take dont mess with me attitude thats all it takes

at 2 that dog should be bale to actually go out for an all day walk lol blimey at 14mths suki was running 5 miles every morning with me then walks in the day too they sound like prissy owners that are also wasting money on trainer as the issue from what you,ve put is clearly them being prissy and spoiling the dog dog is wining which is not healthy for dog at all not sure how to advise this is handled lol but that dog is the boss there and thats bad bad bad cm would have a fit :))
Back to top Go down
Toni
Team Member
Team Member
Toni

Female
Number of posts : 5585

PostSubject: Re: Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk?   Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk? EmptyTue 16 Nov 2010, 11:22 am

Depends on your dogs. Some staffies can jog along 10 mile daily easy. I think ive probably done that max in 1 day.

Think it was Lindas dog on here that did about 25 miles or something crazy, he was fine, just knackered. lol!
Back to top Go down
Yarder
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk?   Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk? EmptyTue 16 Nov 2010, 11:30 am

Lol Thats EXACTLY It - She knows she will get her own way and REFUSES To move! And the owner says she has tried Ive seen her 'Trying' its call her in different tones of voices and watch the dog watch her and not move! Oreo has tried it a few times - realised were not going to the park and the sat down but i just keep walking and he carries on with me! They are lovely people but she is spoilt! The lady blames the man as he believes its the dogs walk and her time - if she doesnt want to go somewhere she shouldnt have to. The lady thinks im right in that a dog should go where you go but yet she doesnt enforce it!

I undertsnad all dogs are different and some will be able to go further Than others but a 40 minute walk doesnt seem too excessive =/ . . . Oreo is 16 months and has done longer walks before now! x
Back to top Go down
Toni
Team Member
Team Member
Toni

Female
Number of posts : 5585

PostSubject: Re: Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk?   Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk? EmptyTue 16 Nov 2010, 11:31 am

Yeah, no not at all. 40 minutes is not excessive. Im never out for less that that! spinner smile
Back to top Go down
Yarder
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk?   Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk? EmptyTue 16 Nov 2010, 11:36 am

Toni wrote:
Yeah, no not at all. 40 minutes is not excessive. Im never out for less that that! spinner smile

The thing is She can be out for longer than that playing with her ball but just because she rufuses to walk they think its 'too far' for her! She also started to get a bit anti-social I thik its because they ALWAYS Bring her ball out. She will jump up and her owners ar try and grab their bag when she wants it and they will just get it out for her. So thats all she really does is play ball - Unless she sees oreo then they wrestle. I Just think sometimes toys should be left and she should have to interact with the other dogs as there can be lots of dogs around she just wants her ball! Shes about 23 Kg oreo Is About 24 So they should be fine to walk a little distance. x
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
Angel

Female

PostSubject: Re: Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk?   Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk? EmptyTue 16 Nov 2010, 11:45 am

40 mins isnt what i call a walk walk thats a quick walk tbh a walk other than for the loo os for a healthy fit dog over 10 mths is an hour min unless out with other dogs so they having the loony run abouts etc then 40 mis is good cos they done like 4 times that :))

but a normal walk 40 mins is only to most people s pace about a 2 miles tops thats nothing
Back to top Go down
Yarder
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk?   Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk? EmptyTue 16 Nov 2010, 11:49 am

Angel wrote:
40 mins isnt what i call a walk walk thats a quick walk tbh a walk other than for the loo os for a healthy fit dog over 10 mths is an hour min unless out with other dogs so they having the loony run abouts etc then 40 mis is good cos they done like 4 times that :))

but a normal walk 40 mins is only to most people s pace about a 2 miles tops thats nothing

Phewwweeee At least its not just me then :P! Oreo is out for minimum of 1 hour a day - unless he is running lots like yesterday was bout 40 mins of chasing his Kong as all park were closed and it was very cold - he came home and went straight to sleep :D . x

Do you think that her issues come from lack of authority? x
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
Eddi and Daisy

Female
Number of posts : 4187

PostSubject: Re: Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk?   Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk? EmptyTue 16 Nov 2010, 11:55 am

I would definately say there is a huge lack of respect, at the end of the day you are the boss of the dog and they go for a walk where you go, obviously you like to take them where they enjoy themselves.

As for walking a hour is easily done for a young dog, I think the owners need training not the dog lol, also some dogs will get very possessive of their toys and they should probably not bring the ball out with them for a little bit.
Back to top Go down
Yarder
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk?   Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk? EmptyTue 16 Nov 2010, 1:07 pm

Eddi and Daisy wrote:
I would definately say there is a huge lack of respect, at the end of the day you are the boss of the dog and they go for a walk where you go, obviously you like to take them where they enjoy themselves.

As for walking a hour is easily done for a young dog, I think the owners need training not the dog lol, also some dogs will get very possessive of their toys and they should probably not bring the ball out with them for a little bit.

I Agree. They are doing her no good its like she has only ever been to something like 3 parks maybe 4 because she wont travel. I Want oreo to experience as many new places as possible and he is yet to go somewhere he doesnt like. In their defence she isnt possesive but i just dont think you NEED A Ball everytime you go out. If oreo doesnt want to play with other dogs then fine but he just has to make do. Sometimes there's a toy sometimes there isnt depends really spinner smile x
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
Angel

Female

PostSubject: Re: Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk?   Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk? EmptyTue 16 Nov 2010, 1:11 pm

i never take balls out with suki ever i dont need to rofl one when i got out she goes for mega walks and she has flame to play with
2 no matter what she always brings one back literally i have like 30 around the house and i havent bought a single one where as when the 16 yr old ss takes her out nothing :))

this owner needs to get a grip as she wil have major issues before long if thi dog rules the roost out side imagine it in he home !!
Back to top Go down
Bubbles-mum
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
Bubbles-mum

Female
Number of posts : 1916

PostSubject: Re: Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk?   Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk? EmptyThu 18 Nov 2010, 9:28 pm

She sounds like my sister with her dog. She tell', me Gucci don't like to walk far just goes out for a pee and goes back in. That's if you let her. Ok she's 13 stone but for gods sake walk your dog. banghead Bubbles was like this as a pup. I no some of you wouldn't do this but I pulled him to come. In the end he got the idea and got fed up with me pulling him. For how long to walk a 2 year old dog, well I will try and walk bubbles over an hour a day two times a day. When I'm not working then longer and in the summer I ride my bike for 45 mins and I would say it's about a 6 mile round trip in the woods.
Back to top Go down
Yarder
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk?   Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk? EmptyThu 18 Nov 2010, 9:30 pm

Bubbles-mum wrote:
She sounds like my sister with her dog. She tell', me Gucci don't like to walk far just goes out for a pee and goes back in. That's if you let her. Ok she's 13 stone but for gods sake walk your dog. banghead Bubbles was like this as a pup. I no some of you wouldn't do this but I pulled him to come. In the end he got the idea and got fed up with me pulling him. For how long to walk a 2 year old dog, well I will try and walk bubbles over an hour a day two times a day. When I'm not working then longer and in the summer I ride my bike for 45 mins and I would say it's about a 6 mile round trip in the woods.

I understand lol! As a pup i too pulled oreo i know some wouldnt but it worked. Obvs i didnt DRAG Him when he was really small or anything but i kept walking and he had to just come along :) x
Back to top Go down
Bubbles-mum
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
Bubbles-mum

Female
Number of posts : 1916

PostSubject: Re: Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk?   Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk? EmptyThu 18 Nov 2010, 9:34 pm

I didn't pull him all the time. But he was just being silly stopping for no reason.
Back to top Go down
Yarder
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk?   Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk? EmptyThu 18 Nov 2010, 9:44 pm

Oreo was like that ! Trying it on every now and then - it wasnt HOW I walked him lol . They just need to know i think! x
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
lindauk

Female
Number of posts : 9712

PostSubject: Re: Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk?   Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk? EmptyThu 18 Nov 2010, 9:48 pm

cant understand it dell and brock live to walk they love it,
when they have a short walk its about 1 hour, and run daft.
but if they get in the car they get so excited and cant bide them-selves until they get there.
think the dog is trying to be the master and the sooner bounderies are laid the better for all, owners and dog.
Back to top Go down
Yarder
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk?   Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk? EmptyThu 18 Nov 2010, 9:54 pm

Well i have kind of told the lady in a nice way that she shouldnt take no for an answer :) And she says she promises to work on it so we arent always let down. . . x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk?   Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk? Empty

Back to top Go down

Who SHOULD Be in charge and whats too far to walk?
Page 1 of 1