Staffiezone
help with rosie R9j409
Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

Staffiezone
help with rosie R9j409
Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

Staffiezone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeFrontLog inLatest imagesChat BoxRegister

help with rosie

Go down 
+5
wids
xclairex1
Sandi
janandruby44
candyrosie
9 posters
AuthorMessage
candyrosie
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female
Number of posts : 190

help with rosie Empty
PostSubject: help with rosie   help with rosie EmptySun 17 Oct 2010, 9:25 pm

i wonder if you have any ideas it is not a massive problem but i am getting fed up with it now. rosie has always nibbled but she is now staring to bite, not to break the skin but she is starting to really chew and snap now when she dont get her own way she does not bite when she snaps she just does the motion.
what do you think?
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support
janandruby44

Female
Number of posts : 11929

help with rosie Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with rosie   help with rosie EmptySun 17 Oct 2010, 10:25 pm

I'm not sure Sam, someone will come on soon and give you advice.

Hope you are all ok. group hug
Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member
Sandi

Female
Number of posts : 15687

help with rosie Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with rosie   help with rosie EmptySun 17 Oct 2010, 10:31 pm

First thing I would do is let out a high pitched squeal when she does it, use a word like no or don't or no bite see how that goes.

If she is doing it when she can't have her own way she is just testing you - main thing is don't give in.
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member
xclairex1

Female
Number of posts : 6615

help with rosie Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with rosie   help with rosie EmptySun 17 Oct 2010, 11:54 pm

~Sandi~ wrote:
First thing I would do is let out a high pitched squeal when she does it, use a word like no or don't or no bite see how that goes.

If she is doing it when she can't have her own way she is just testing you - main thing is don't give in.

Sandi is spot on, also you could turn away from her so she sees she's not getting your attention
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

help with rosie Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with rosie   help with rosie EmptyMon 18 Oct 2010, 12:25 pm

xclairex1 wrote:
~Sandi~ wrote:

Sandi is spot on, also you could turn away from her so she sees she's not getting your attention

Can't add to the good advice given above. Back to basics for Rosie I think and keep at it

Back to top Go down
jakies13
Team Member
Team Member
jakies13

Female
Number of posts : 7512

help with rosie Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with rosie   help with rosie EmptyMon 18 Oct 2010, 12:29 pm

I agree with what everyone has said and also it seems as if she is trying to push her luck with you.
Just assert your dominance as pack leader to show her whos boss again
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member
Staffylover

Female
Number of posts : 31924

help with rosie Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with rosie   help with rosie EmptyMon 18 Oct 2010, 12:36 pm

Great advice from Sandi, do you know what triggered this Sam? Did it coincide with Si coming home or your friends getting their male?
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
lindauk

Female
Number of posts : 9712

help with rosie Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with rosie   help with rosie EmptyMon 18 Oct 2010, 12:43 pm

staffys seem to try to push the bounderies every now and then
cant fault the great advise given above x
Back to top Go down
candyrosie
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female

help with rosie Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with rosie   help with rosie EmptyMon 18 Oct 2010, 3:06 pm

it has been since she was attacked in the field and she has lost half her fang on the right hand side first of all i thought it was for a comfort thing as it was the back of the mouth that she would put our hands like a baby comforting herself.
we have used the scream and she kisses us and she will chew and then kiss and then chew. we have put our hand flat and upwards so she cant get it and she will use her paws to get the hand to her level and where she could chew it.
she has started snaping since the male dog has entered into the house she always pushes the lines since we have got her as most of you know.
i have turned my back on her and she rolls over onto her back and cryes. i have stood up and growled at her and stared her out and she will bow her head and roll onto her back. we have put her in her muzzel.
but a coule of hours later she is back doing it.
she is showing submittance but she keeps doing it. she made candy yelp yesterday they were playing and i have not allowed them to do that for a long time.
she is not a bad dog but i just cant work her out sometimes. do you think that taking her to a behaviourst would be the best thing. just when i think we are making progress boom she does something.
Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6766

help with rosie Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with rosie   help with rosie EmptyMon 18 Oct 2010, 4:28 pm

Hi Sam, she must learn that teeth on skin are not allowed, so dont let her nibble at your hands at all, even if she is being gentle, Cassie used to mouth as a puppy, but we managed to stop this, however Since the recent events in our family she has started to do this again, only when she is excited, she only does this with other people never me, I use a loud ahh haa to stop her and a touch to her side with my hand to distract her, if she doesnt stop I send her out of the room which she hates, I put it down to Cassie picking up on my total grief, as she has been very unsettled of late, good luck hope all goes well xxxxxx
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member
Staffylover

Female

help with rosie Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with rosie   help with rosie EmptyMon 18 Oct 2010, 6:32 pm

I honestly dont think you need a behaviourist Sam, I think Allie uses a good method and I have seen it in practice when I went to visit her a few weeks ago.
I think you need to settle down in your own home Sam (which I know you are working on) before you consider a behaviourist.
You should be able to stop it and it will involve going back to basics for a period of time. I imagine she is feeling out of sorts with the new dog in the house.

I know when Reuben used to nip I said ouch very loudly with a sharp intake of breath and this seemed to do the trick for us
Back to top Go down
candyrosie
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female

help with rosie Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with rosie   help with rosie EmptyMon 18 Oct 2010, 6:50 pm

i will keep going with her. and keep you all posted.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member
Staffylover

Female

help with rosie Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with rosie   help with rosie EmptyMon 18 Oct 2010, 7:13 pm

Sam, just had a thought - I have sent you a message on FB
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

help with rosie Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with rosie   help with rosie Empty

Back to top Go down

help with rosie
Page 1 of 1