Staffiezone
Reuben and his first bone R9j409
Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

Staffiezone
Reuben and his first bone R9j409
Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

Staffiezone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeFrontLog inLatest imagesChat BoxRegister

Reuben and his first bone

Go down 
+10
jakies13
CodyBoo
Angel
Cassieloomismyers
wids
lindauk
Wendy
Cool Breeze's mummy
Jo n Buffs
Staffylover
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member
Staffylover

Female
Number of posts : 31924

Reuben and his first bone Empty
PostSubject: Reuben and his first bone   Reuben and his first bone EmptyTue 05 Oct 2010, 9:18 pm

I got Reuben his first bone from the butchers today, he had a good chomp on it for about 10-15 minutes before we went out for a walk. He has since had his tea and does not seem interested in it, despite bringing it into the front room.
I will try him again with it tomorrow in the back garden. Chloe has no interest whatsoever, had a sniff and walked away

What I did not realise was that I could ask the butcher to cut the knuckle ends off so he could get to the marrow (thanks for the tip Zoe) so I have asked hubby to have a go at cutting it tomorrow.

Here are a few pics

Reuben and his first bone Bones001

Reuben and his first bone Bones002

Reuben and his first bone Bones003

Reuben and his first bone Bones004

Reuben and his first bone Bones005
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 19490

PostSubject: Re: Reuben and his first bone   Reuben and his first bone EmptyTue 05 Oct 2010, 9:20 pm

yum yum yum Reuben lol bloody el jo you get dinosaurs where you live ?
Back to top Go down
Cool Breeze's mummy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
Cool Breeze's mummy

Female
Number of posts : 1264

PostSubject: Re: Reuben and his first bone   Reuben and his first bone EmptyTue 05 Oct 2010, 9:21 pm

!!! I didn't realise they were that big lol, said we were going to start ours off slowly with some knuckle bones, probs bigger than Rossco lol. Let us know how Reuben gets on with it tomorrow pweez =)
Back to top Go down
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
Wendy

Female
Number of posts : 2001

PostSubject: Re: Reuben and his first bone   Reuben and his first bone EmptyTue 05 Oct 2010, 9:22 pm

OMW, that bone looks huge, enjoy your treat Reuben x
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member
Staffylover

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reuben and his first bone   Reuben and his first bone EmptyTue 05 Oct 2010, 9:23 pm

I think most people would ask the butcher to cut it. When I went in I asked for a knuckle bone or a shin bone and they went off to get one. She popped her head around and asked what part did I want, not knowing I just said all of it!! I'll know next time lol
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
lindauk

Female
Number of posts : 9712

PostSubject: Re: Reuben and his first bone   Reuben and his first bone EmptyTue 05 Oct 2010, 9:39 pm

they get very attached to there bones and like them best when the've had them a day or two. get ian to split it with a hammer and chisel so he can get to the marrow. when he's gone with the marrow he can get at.
reuben will love it and chloe might get into them as well. x
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: Reuben and his first bone   Reuben and his first bone EmptyTue 05 Oct 2010, 9:56 pm

That is a big bone lol!

Perhaps he just can't believe his luck and that it's all for him?
Back to top Go down
Cassieloomismyers
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
Cassieloomismyers

Female
Number of posts : 1159

PostSubject: Re: Reuben and his first bone   Reuben and his first bone EmptyTue 05 Oct 2010, 10:06 pm

Looks like a cows thigh bone to me! ..4 bones worth there...2 knuckle and 2 shin, bet reubens thought it Was xmas! He'll probably have a good go at it when its smaller and he can grip it and lie down gnawing on it comfortably.
Back to top Go down
Cassieloomismyers
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
Cassieloomismyers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reuben and his first bone   Reuben and his first bone EmptyTue 05 Oct 2010, 10:08 pm

Oh I really should have said but I don't feed mine a meal if they have had a bone, it replaces a meal on a BARF Diet...particular filling if they have the marrow, so don't worry if he doesn't eat it after his tea and maybe on a Tuesday he gets a bone for tea instead of kibble.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member
Staffylover

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reuben and his first bone   Reuben and his first bone EmptyTue 05 Oct 2010, 10:30 pm

Thanks Zoe

I have just cut one end off (Knew I would find a use for my tree pruning saw lol) so he is chewing on one knuckle end at the moment and having a real go at the marrow. I think it was a bit overwhelming for him earlier.

I'll get hubby to chop the rest up tomorrow. If I chop it into 4 pieces tomorrow will I be able to freeze a couple of pieces as it will be 24 hours old? If not I will pop back into the back garden now and have another go at cutting it
Back to top Go down
Cassieloomismyers
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
Cassieloomismyers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reuben and his first bone   Reuben and his first bone EmptyTue 05 Oct 2010, 10:41 pm

Yeah it will be fine to freeze it Jo, you Will know if its gone off because it gets quite strong smelling. I would say 48 hours for flesh and then a further 72 if its just dry bone. I usually leave mine with theirs for about 3 days.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member
Staffylover

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reuben and his first bone   Reuben and his first bone EmptyTue 05 Oct 2010, 10:52 pm

Here he is having a good chew on a more acceptable size bone

Reuben and his first bone Bonesa001

Reuben and his first bone Bonesa002
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
lindauk

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reuben and his first bone   Reuben and his first bone EmptyTue 05 Oct 2010, 10:52 pm

flesh gets eaten off ours with in 2 days tops.
is reuben knawing at it jo
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member
Staffylover

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reuben and his first bone   Reuben and his first bone EmptyTue 05 Oct 2010, 10:54 pm

Still picking at the bits of flesh and tackling the marrow. If he starts to gnaw on it too much I will keeping an eye on his teeth due to previous damage caused by the boomer ball
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
lindauk

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reuben and his first bone   Reuben and his first bone EmptyTue 05 Oct 2010, 11:00 pm

marrow is lovely we make soup out of ham shanks and split the bone
he may eat too heartily and be sick, so dont let him have too much to begin with.they are usually sick if they eat a lot of the sinewy bits.
it takes a little while for them to get used to it, but when they do its all good stuff x
Back to top Go down
Cassieloomismyers
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
Cassieloomismyers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reuben and his first bone   Reuben and his first bone EmptyTue 05 Oct 2010, 11:01 pm

Ahh bless...they all get that zoned out look when they are chewing something don't they!
Hope it improves things Jo. I would give one a week for a few weeks see how he gets on.
Back to top Go down
Cassieloomismyers
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
Cassieloomismyers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reuben and his first bone   Reuben and his first bone EmptyTue 05 Oct 2010, 11:05 pm

lindauk wrote:
marrow is lovely we make soup out of ham shanks and split the bone
he may eat too heartily and be sick, so dont let him have too much to begin with.they are usually sick if they eat a lot of the sinewy bits.
it takes a little while for them to get used to it, but when they do its all good stuff x
My father in law (RIP Dad) used to scrape the marrow out of bones with a knife and eat it!! I always thought it was sooo disgusting!!! Forgot he did that untill I read your post! Funny memories :0)
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member
Staffylover

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reuben and his first bone   Reuben and his first bone EmptyTue 05 Oct 2010, 11:12 pm

YUK!!!

Its now in 3 pieces and have frozen the other two so I am OK for another couple of weeks, fingers crossed it helps with his anals
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
lindauk

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reuben and his first bone   Reuben and his first bone EmptyTue 05 Oct 2010, 11:40 pm

i loved tripe when i was a kid until i realised what it was, boiled in milk with onions.
ive got a feeling reuben will do well from his bones jo so stick with it, it also keeps him busy x
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
Angel

Female
Number of posts : 7814

PostSubject: Re: Reuben and his first bone   Reuben and his first bone EmptyWed 06 Oct 2010, 8:04 am

heheh bless him suki wont eat big bones when i manage to get the raw diet for her she has to have small bits the big ones get taken outside and left till i throw them

he looks well happy with the smaller one though :))
Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4517

PostSubject: Re: Reuben and his first bone   Reuben and his first bone EmptyWed 06 Oct 2010, 8:11 am

Cassieloomismyers wrote:
Ahh bless...they all get that zoned out look when they are chewing something don't they!

I was going to say the same. I love it when they get that look, you know they are really enjoying it lol!

That bone was huge. Probably bigger than my Daisy oops

Looks like he is really enjoying the smaller bit.
Back to top Go down
jakies13
Team Member
Team Member
jakies13

Female
Number of posts : 7512

PostSubject: Re: Reuben and his first bone   Reuben and his first bone EmptyWed 06 Oct 2010, 10:09 am

Wow thats a huuuge bone!
It will take him a while to work his way through the pieces youve cut x
Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6766

PostSubject: Re: Reuben and his first bone   Reuben and his first bone EmptyWed 06 Oct 2010, 8:34 pm

he looks as though he is really enjoying his bone xxx
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member
xclairex1

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: Reuben and his first bone   Reuben and his first bone EmptyWed 06 Oct 2010, 8:48 pm

He seems to be enjoying it!
Kai and Diesel regularly get bones and love them

I normally let them have them for 2-3 days by which time they're done anyway x
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
lindauk

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reuben and his first bone   Reuben and his first bone EmptyWed 06 Oct 2010, 9:01 pm

is he back on the bone to-night jox
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reuben and his first bone   Reuben and his first bone Empty

Back to top Go down

Reuben and his first bone
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next