Staffiezone
Elsdon and rabbits R9j409
Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

Staffiezone
Elsdon and rabbits R9j409
Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

Staffiezone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeFrontLog inLatest imagesChat BoxRegister

Elsdon and rabbits

Go down 
+3
lindauk
suziet
janandruby44
7 posters
AuthorMessage
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support
janandruby44

Female
Number of posts : 11929

Elsdon and rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Elsdon and rabbits   Elsdon and rabbits EmptyThu 01 Sep 2011, 1:05 pm

Whilst we were on holiday we went for a walk in some woods that were close to the camp site. Wisely or unwisely we let Elli, Ruby and Elsdon off for a run about and I suddenly realised that Elsdon was not with us anymore.

I stood and shouted him for what seemed like ages and eventually I saw him charging round a bush like a lunatic after what I can only think was a rabbit.

What worried me was the fact that no matter how loud I shouted him, his prey instinct had taken over and he didn't want to hear me (naught boy!) Eventually my voice got through to him and he came back. What worried me the most was the fact that he had gone "deaf" and the fact that he could have got really lost and wandered onto a main road.

Has anyone any tips I could use apart from not ever letting him off in woods!? I do have a whistle at home that I might start using again, it usually gets his attention!
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support
suziet

Female
Number of posts : 23449

Elsdon and rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elsdon and rabbits   Elsdon and rabbits EmptyThu 01 Sep 2011, 4:45 pm

Hi Honey

Rocco is exactly the same Jan - he has a very high prey drive and scent is his primary sense -

I try to recognise the signals - normally his nose twitches - then he raises his head and body goes stiff tail up - its at this point I have to act quick - I call Rocco in a high pitched but gentle voice and 99% it works and Rocco will recall to me - I manage to snap him out of that concencentration zone-

I havent timed it right a few times and once he bolts it is useless yelling after him and his focus in now solely on the Hare - I tend to wait in the same spot andf then keep an eye on him - then a few mins after I do my recall whistle and shout - again Rocco does come back xxx

This may not be perfect in some peoples eyes - but I feel its a shame to keep Rocco on lead and he doesn't chase often xx

Hope that helps honey x
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
lindauk

Female
Number of posts : 9712

Elsdon and rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elsdon and rabbits   Elsdon and rabbits EmptyThu 01 Sep 2011, 5:32 pm

its the terrier in him jan...... simple
chances are he wont catch one but will have a good run, keep his weigh down and his stamina up
the rabbits usually make for there rabbit hole when a chase is on
so as long as theres no road between your fine
have you ever thought about pointer training ?
we saw his prey drive in the garden first time you were here with lily...remember

seriously i do understand your worried he wont come back

ok i'll go now i'm just that way out
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support
janandruby44

Female

Elsdon and rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elsdon and rabbits   Elsdon and rabbits EmptyThu 01 Sep 2011, 9:50 pm

You've both given me lots of advice in your different ways. Suzie, I think I will trust him to come back eventually but keep the whistle with me always, he is a very audio dog, so will hear it and respond.

Linda - you know him so well and saw him first hand, I'm just so glad you put up with him. I never thought about pointer training, could be good for him, food for thought and thanks, a good idea!
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

Elsdon and rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elsdon and rabbits   Elsdon and rabbits EmptyFri 02 Sep 2011, 9:32 am

We had the same thing with Maizie and Amy at the same time with a pheasant. They both took off after it across a field like rockets.

Didn't think they were going to stop but luckily once it reached a certain height they did stop for a second and that's the only point at which they realised we were calling them.

I'd like to trust them to come back eventually but if whilst at that level of excitement they come across another dog walker it could result in a problem.

We carry a whistle now and also everytime one of them does anything like this we put them back on the lead and keep them on the lead and exclude them from the lead free playing and running for the remainder of the walk.

It is working with Maizie she is begining to realise that there is a limit to how far she can go - Amy still suffers from sudden deafness if she sees something more interesting than us though lol!

Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support
suziet

Female
Number of posts : 23449

Elsdon and rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elsdon and rabbits   Elsdon and rabbits EmptyFri 02 Sep 2011, 10:59 am

They run so damn fast though dont they - that worries me more than anything xx
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

Elsdon and rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elsdon and rabbits   Elsdon and rabbits EmptyFri 02 Sep 2011, 11:41 am

suziet wrote:
They run so damn fast though dont they - that worries me more than anything xx

I still find it unbelievable sometimes how far they get in a couple of seconds and I'm too old and unfit to even attempt to catch them lol
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support
janandruby44

Female

Elsdon and rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elsdon and rabbits   Elsdon and rabbits EmptyFri 02 Sep 2011, 12:46 pm

Elsdon can run pretty fast but he's no lurcher so I don't worry about him actually catching one, it's the too far away from me stuff that worries me too. He's never done anything like this before and unless he sees another rabbit probably won't bother. I'm going to improve on his emergency down and hope that will stop him in his tracks. You'll probably hear me practicing it, I have cultivated a really loud voice whilst training Elsdon lol
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

Elsdon and rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elsdon and rabbits   Elsdon and rabbits EmptyFri 02 Sep 2011, 12:54 pm

I'm a bit of a foghorn when it comes to getting the girls attention lol!

Good idea about the emergency down - I always forget to try this.

Have to confess I've let the training side slip a bit with my two- Amy is so difficult I tend to give up a bit easily, but I think I can work on this with Maizie to start with.
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support
janandruby44

Female

Elsdon and rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elsdon and rabbits   Elsdon and rabbits EmptyFri 02 Sep 2011, 9:01 pm

Tried it tonight Liz but in a safe environment so I don't count that as working lol It worked though.
Back to top Go down
Toni
Team Member
Team Member
Toni

Female
Number of posts : 5585

Elsdon and rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elsdon and rabbits   Elsdon and rabbits EmptySat 03 Sep 2011, 7:23 am

Buddy and Stella are the same, as soon as the bunnies dissappear they resume hearing haha. Im am more cautious now though, I only let them off where I know there is either no rabbits - or not very likely anyhoo, or in the open fields so I can alway see.
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support
janandruby44

Female

Elsdon and rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elsdon and rabbits   Elsdon and rabbits EmptySat 03 Sep 2011, 8:18 am

I think I'll just be so more aware next time I take him walking in any woods, it seems the smell of bunnies drives him mad lol
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member
Staffylover

Female
Number of posts : 31924

Elsdon and rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elsdon and rabbits   Elsdon and rabbits EmptySat 03 Sep 2011, 8:52 am

My two have never chased bunnies although there are lots around. I always have my eyes peeled for anything and everything so if I see one they got back on the lead.
My local farmer has already had a run in with my friend and her dog, some of you may recall the post when I was chasing the blinking thing all over the fields.
I would prefer not to upset the farmer again, he is OK with dogs on his land as long as they are under control
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support
janandruby44

Female

Elsdon and rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elsdon and rabbits   Elsdon and rabbits EmptySat 03 Sep 2011, 11:43 am

I remember it well Jo and wouldn't take Elsdon anywhere now that I thought he might run off and lose his way back to me. Skipton Woods would be ok as it's well fenced in but I don't fancy the thought of him hareing off (sorry about the pun) again. I'll be watching him closely and any signs and he'll be back on the lead oh no
Back to top Go down
Jakethedog
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
Jakethedog

Male
Number of posts : 3749

Elsdon and rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elsdon and rabbits   Elsdon and rabbits EmptySat 03 Sep 2011, 5:44 pm

Alfie will 100% chase a rabbit if he spots one oops but im not sure if he knows what it is tbh scratch i think he thinks there sqirrells which i must admit is my fault as since being a pup iv allowed him to chase them ,& tend to wind him up if we ever see one oops

but he nevers go,s after cats as we have one & has never been allowed to do this from day one , he,s happy to just sit on the drive next to 2 or 3 cats no problem
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Elsdon and rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elsdon and rabbits   Elsdon and rabbits Empty

Back to top Go down

Elsdon and rabbits
Page 1 of 1