Staffiezone
Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT******* R9j409
Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

Staffiezone
Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT******* R9j409
Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

Staffiezone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeFrontLog inLatest imagesChat BoxRegister

Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT*******

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member
Sandi

Female
Number of posts : 15687

Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT******* Empty
PostSubject: Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT*******   Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT******* EmptySun 15 Nov 2009, 7:29 pm

I am informed that Pigs Ears are being recalled nationwide at the moment due to being linked with Salmonella.

I am waiting to get more information - in the meantime if you feed Pigs Ears or Beef Hooves (any size) stop for the time being.

I will update further when more information comes in.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is issuing this health alert to warn consumers not to use Pig Ears and Beef Hooves pet treats manufactured by Pet Carousel because the products may be contaminated with Salmonella. The products were distributed nationwide in both bulk and retail packaging for sale in pet food and retail chain stores.
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
Eddi and Daisy

Female
Number of posts : 4187

PostSubject: Re: Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT*******   Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT******* EmptySun 15 Nov 2009, 7:34 pm

I stopped giving my dogs pigs ears awhile back because they tended to swallow big chunks of it and the horror stories i've read and heard about having to cut them open to remove chunks of pigs ear.

To think its been infected is awful, I hope none of your doggies are affected.
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
Angel

Female
Number of posts : 7814

PostSubject: Re: Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT*******   Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT******* EmptySun 15 Nov 2009, 7:43 pm

i never feed them suki has raw meaty bones diet so she gets plenty to chew on i always hated pigs ears though
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 19490

PostSubject: Re: Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT*******   Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT******* EmptySun 15 Nov 2009, 7:44 pm

luckily i havent bought no pigs ears in ages thanku for the warning sandi Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT******* Icon_smile
I to hope no ones doggys been infected
Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member
Sandi

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT*******   Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT******* EmptySun 15 Nov 2009, 9:56 pm

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is issuing this health alert to warn consumers not to use Pig Ears and Beef Hooves pet treats manufactured by Pet Carousel because the products may be contaminated with Salmonella. The products were distributed nationwide in both bulk and retail packaging for sale in pet food and retail chain stores. Pet Carousel is based in Sanger, Calif.
The products were manufactured under conditions that facilitate cross-contamination within batches or lots. Although no illnesses associated with these products have been reported, the FDA is advising consumers in possession of these products to not handle or feed them to their pets.

The affected pig ear products were packaged under the brand names Doggie Delight and Pet Carousel. The affected beef hooves were packaged under the brand names Choo Hooves, Dentley’s, Doggie Delight, and Pet Carousel. All sizes and all lots of these products made by Pet Carousel are included in this alert.

During September 2009, the FDA conducted routine testing of pig ears made by Pet Carousel. The test results detected a positive reading for Salmonella. This prompted an FDA inspection of Pet Carousel’s manufacturing facilities. During the inspection, the agency collected additional pet treat samples. Further analysis found Salmonella present in beef hooves, pig ears and in the manufacturing environment.

Salmonella can affect both humans and animals. People handling dry pet food and/or pet treats can become infected with Salmonella, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the treats or any surfaces exposed to these products. Consumers should dispose of these products in a safe manner by securing them in a covered trash receptacle.

Healthy people infected with Salmonella may experience some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. Although rare, Salmonella can result in more serious ailments including arterial infections, endocarditis (inflammation of the lining of the heart), arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract symptoms. Consumers exhibiting these signs after having contact with this product should contact their health care provider immediately.

Pets with Salmonella infections may become lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever and vomiting. Some pets may only experience a decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. Infected, but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed any of the affected products or is experiencing any of these symptoms, contact your veterinarian immediately.

The FDA will continue to investigate this matter to determine the source of the Salmonella contamination and offer updates as appropriate.

This article is covered by copyright and Staffiezone has full permission to republish it here from K9 Magazine, the lifestyle magazine for dog lovers.
Back to top Go down
Mandy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
Mandy

Female
Number of posts : 1802

PostSubject: Re: Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT*******   Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT******* EmptyMon 16 Nov 2009, 1:12 pm

Thanks for the warning and extra information Sandi, I'm glad i dont feed them to my dogs, and i do hope that nobody's dog has been infected.
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
Angel

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT*******   Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT******* EmptyMon 16 Nov 2009, 1:22 pm

blimey thats strong stuff isnt it

dogs actually shouldnt eat any cooked bones anyway not even those beef bones they sell none of the stuff sold on pet shops is really ok bone wise of the hide chews they go all yukky like the pigs ears do and get stuck in the throat making the dog choke and should most def not be left with the dog if out raw howver is better for them and safe too

that makes really in teresting reading sandi where you find it ?
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT*******   Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT******* EmptyMon 16 Nov 2009, 1:53 pm

but if they cooked which normally kills selomoella wouldnt it be in raw bones to ??
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
Eddi and Daisy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT*******   Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT******* EmptyMon 16 Nov 2009, 2:35 pm

It must be pretty strong stuff because dogs stomachs can tolerate a lot higher levels of bacteria than we can.
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
Angel

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT*******   Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT******* EmptyMon 16 Nov 2009, 2:46 pm

no its wouldnt be jo as how they do it adds something and its not just the salmonella that makes cooked bones like the knuckle ones dangerous dogs dont digest that sort of stuff properly they arent meant to eat cooked stuff naturally its us humans that come up with silly ideas like that :))
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT*******   Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT******* EmptyMon 16 Nov 2009, 2:52 pm

thank u was only asking as i panicked as buffy sat next to me chomping a raw one lol
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
Angel

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT*******   Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT******* EmptyMon 16 Nov 2009, 3:26 pm

hehe no thats ok will be something to do with the way they made or at the factory type of thing
Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member
Sandi

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT*******   Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT******* EmptyMon 16 Nov 2009, 4:32 pm

Dee is right dogs should not eat cooked bones, they are much harder to digest.

There could be an element of Salmonella in raw bones, but nothing that a dogs digestive system could not cope with. However they could pass the Salmonella out in their poo and it is once again all about human hygiene and the way we look after ourselves and food that stops the spread. Wash your hands but also wipe down and wash your utensils.

Dogs have much stronger stomachs and digestive system than us humans and therefore cope better.
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
Eddi and Daisy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT*******   Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT******* EmptyMon 16 Nov 2009, 4:53 pm

The thing about raw bones that worries me my vet said that they can actually crack their big back teeth on them, I don't give them either at the moment, but never cooked ones.
Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member
Sandi

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT*******   Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT******* EmptyMon 16 Nov 2009, 5:07 pm

Marrow bones are very hard and even wolves dont tend to eat those - they can crack teeth - thats where the Hyena's come in.

It has to be each to their own choices.

You can get Salmonella from kibble, but as said a dogs digestive system, providing they are otherwise healthy, copes far better than we ever could.
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
Angel

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT*******   Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT******* EmptyMon 16 Nov 2009, 5:17 pm

depends on the size too jackie suki dones eat big bones she has the smaller ones given her size she should love them lol but the stuff i get isnt rock hard ones so they dont do any harm its basically what they would eat in the wild so to speak i,llshow you sat :0)
Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member
Sandi

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT*******   Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT******* EmptyMon 16 Nov 2009, 5:22 pm

angelsbunnystud wrote:
its basically what they would eat in the wild so to speak i,llshow you sat :0)

He he now we know what you are having for dinner on Saturday Jackie
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
Eddi and Daisy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT*******   Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT******* EmptyMon 16 Nov 2009, 5:23 pm

Thats great I have got beef rib bones before and eddi loves them. But then someone says something to scare you rotten lol.
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
Eddi and Daisy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT*******   Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT******* EmptyMon 16 Nov 2009, 5:23 pm

lol sandi.
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member
Angel

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT*******   Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT******* EmptyMon 16 Nov 2009, 5:32 pm

psml dont think so hehehe
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT*******   Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT******* Empty

Back to top Go down

Pigs Ears Recall *******ALERT*******
Page 1 of 1